2019 Trophy Winners
Justin Harris: Championship Flight Winner Austin O'Connor: A Flight WinnerMatt Greehan: B Flight WinnerLee Swenson: C Flight Winner Bill Osborne: Senior Division Winner
Medalist (Score of 68)
2019 Invitational Honoree
Announcing 2019 Prize Winners
2019 Stamford Invitational
82nd Stamford Men's Invitational Tournament Highlights
Our 82nd Men’s Invitational Tournament is now in the books, and once again it did not disappoint!
82nd Invitational Honoree: Larry Schwartz
Paul DeFeo, a savvy veteran and one-time Invitational champion, took on a resilient newcomer in Justin Harris. Justin got off to a hot start and took a commanding lead early, putting Paul down 4 after only 7 holes. Paul staged a rally of his own by taking holes 11 & 12, and was poised for a comeback for the ages. In the end, Paul’s early deficit was just too big a hill to climb, falling just short in his resurgence and losing on 17. Justin was crowned our 2019 champion – knocking off perennial powerhouses Kurt Swenson, Neil Krick, Ryan Curran, and Paul DeFeo en route to victory; an amazing display of golf.
Both players put on a great show for the huge gallery that followed.
Championship Flight: Justin Harris
A Flight: Austin O’Connor
B Flight: Matt Greehan
C Flight: Lee Swenson
Senior Flight: Bill Osborne
Medalist: Duffy Mulford scoring a 68 in qualifying round on Friday
- Players from all over: AZ, PA, CT, NC, VA, NJ
- Two players shot under par during qualifying: Duffy Mulford (68) and Greg Funck (69)
- Over half the field with a handicap of 10 or below – a very competitive field
Special Thank You:
***Mike Faulkner & Crew for keeping the course in great shape
***Kurt and Lisa DuBois for the great dining experience
***Brad Anderson & Pam Stock with all your help and experience allowing the tournament to run smooth.
***Linda Lord, Jon Barber, Carol Loucks, Dave Hoffman, Rick & Barb Funck and all the volunteers for their hard work
***Bob Mentone, Victor Mullen, and Karl Raake for the great entertainment
***PGA Professional Jim Schouller for officiating the final match
***Gov Govern: Calcutta emcee
***Board of Directors for all their hard volunteer work they put into this tournament.
We are incredibly grateful to this year’s sponsors:
5 O'Clock Somewhere
Grand Gorge Animal Hospital
Schmitt & Mulford Family
For the past 81 years, golfers have been coming from near and far to participate in the Stamford Invitational. This individual, match play format has brought many top tier golfers back to the area to try to become the champion for the year. The format is setup for any caliber golfer, as flights range from Championship (top 16 medalist) then work their way down to D-flight. The flights are determined during the qualifying round played on Friday. Your qualifying score will determine your placement and seeding within each flight. Once the pairings are set, it becomes a match play tournament from there on out. Players are “ranked” and the bracket begins Saturday morning until a champion is determined Sunday afternoon. The field is limited to the first 80 paid golfers.
Monday, August 5th to Thursday, August 8th
- A practice round can be played; please contact pro-shop in advance
Friday, August 9th
- SHOTGUN START AT NOON. Championship flight will be comprised of the low 16 Gross scores on Friday ONLY. Gross score 17-32 will determine 1st flight. All other flights will be determined using emphasis on established handicaps along with Friday’s round results. (All players must submit a GHIN or attested handicap upon registration).
- $1300+ in CASH prizes on Friday alone. Top 4 Gross Prizes, Top 4 Net Prizes, Closest to the Pin on all Par 3’s, Second Shot on #18, and the Longest Drive payouts.
- Cash bar and dinner following the qualifying round (included in entry fee)
- Calcutta Friday Night: Starting approx. 7:30pm after pairings and starting times. (Please neatly provide your email address on Registration Card...we are now capable of emailing all participants the pairing after Qualifying Round...this will also help you with the Calcutta).
Saturday, August 10th
- Flights B, C, and D will play match play. These flights will play as a foursome, you will play your opponent head-to-head, BUT you also must beat the winner of the other cart in your foursome to move on in the winner’s bracket. The other player that won his cart but lost to the opposing cart will move into the Beaten Eights, where they can still have a chance to cash. The two players that lost their match can sign up for a consolation round Sunday afternoon. This round will also pay Top Net and Gross Score.
- Championship & A Flight will continue to compete gross only in a head-to-head format playing as a twosome.
- The tournament committee reserves the right to seed players who do not have an established handicap.
- Brooks BBQ Dinner on Saturday: 5pm (included in entry fee)
Sunday, August 11th
- Flight semi-finals and finals, Beaten Eights semi-finals and finals, 18-hole consolation round for all players eliminated on Saturday. Prizes for ALL flights to be awarded at the conclusion of the final match. We encourage all to come follow our Championship finalist. (Carts will be complimentary for all spectators).
Ties for inclusion in the Championship and 1st Flight will be decided by a sudden death playoff, starting on the 18th hole, immediately following Friday’s qualifying round. Breakfast available for purchase daily.
All participants are entitled to one complimentary practice round, which may be played two weeks prior to the event. Cart not included. Medalist is the low gross qualifying score on Friday. Medalist will receive the Jack Maxwell trophy.
Make check payable to Stamford Golf Club and send with entry card to:
Stamford Golf Club
PO Box 65
Stamford, NY 12167
Save the date September 7th & 8th, 2019 Two-Man Fall Scramble
Previous participants may register any time prior to Friday, August 9th.
All other participants may register starting at 6:00AM on Saturday August 11, 2019
- Wayne Lord: Chairman
- Jim Natale
- Greg Funck
- John Cammer
- Kurt DuBois
Kurt Swenson - 2018 Runner Up
Gov Govern - 2017 Runner Up
2019 Larry Schwartz
2018 Al Rybicky
2017 Bill Osborne
2016 Geno Govern
2015 Marion Hoagland
2014 Jim Govern
2013 Bob Preston
2012 Richie and Nancy Beers
2011 Norm and Jackie Swenson
2018 Gov Govern
2017 Kurt Swenson
2016 Ryan Curran
2015 Gov Govern
2014 Paul DeFeo
2013 Pete Schaaf, Jr.
2012 Brad Anderson
2011 Ryan Curran
2010 Ryan Curran
2009 Kurt Swenson
2008 Kurt Swenson
2007 Brad Anderson
2006 Tom Sluiter
2005 Kurt Swenson
2004 Jon Barber
2003 Pete Schaaf, Jr.
2002 Mark Archibald
2001 Glenn Carter
2000 Paul Lesta
1999 Brad Anderson
1998 Mark Archibald
1997 Glen Parrizo
1996 Mark Archibald
1995 Mark Archibald
1994 Duane Ely
1993 Jim Schouller, Jr.
1992 Brad Anderson